Announcing Sonoma Partners Editable Grid for Dynamics CRM 2011Posted by Peter Majer on February 22, 2013 | Comments (13)
A common request that we hear from our Microsoft Dynamics CRM clients is the ability to quickly edit records directly in the grid, without having to open up each record one at a time to make updates. The great news is that now you can!
Sonoma Partners is pleased to announce the latest and greatest FREE solution available for download. You heard that correct. This solution is absolutely free and just takes a couple minutes to install. The Sonoma Partners Editable Grid for Dynamics CRM 2011 can be downloaded from the our download page. This is available for both CRM Online and CRM OnPrem versions of CRM 2011.
The editable grid solution works with the Lead, Contact, Account, Opportunity, and Case entities out of the box. You can also enable the solution to work with custom entities. Those instructions are detailed on the help documentation for the editable grid solution.
As mentioned above, after downloading the solution, the installation is very simple. Just import the solution using CRM’s native import process and you’re done. After that you’ll notice an Edit Records button in the ribbon of those entities listed above.
Clicking on this button will open up a new window (or tab) that has the editable grid in it. The editable grid that appears will have all the views that are available for that entity (System and Personal) so you can filter between records to edit. The view and data that appear by default is the view and data that was appearing in CRM’s native grid when you clicked the Edit Records button.
After selecting your view to work with, you can update any field that’s editable within CRM. System fields (such as Contact Full Name, Created On, Modified By, etc.) are not editable. Fields that are read only on forms aren’t automatically read only in the editable grids as CRM 2011 allows multiple forms. However, you can even configure additional columns to be read only by using the Editable Grid Settings entity. You’ll need to create one record in this entity per entity that you want to include additional read only fields. Simply enter in the schema name of the entity, and a comma delimited list of field schema names that you want to make read only.
Functionality that’s included with the Sonoma Partners editable grid:
- You can update any field that’s editable (taking in mind the detail in the section above). Changes aren’t saved until you click one of the save buttons.
- You can save the changes and stay on the editable grid, or save and close the editable grid window.
- Any unsaved changes you also have the chance to undo with the Cancel Changes button.
- You can open the records in the native CRM form by clicking the magnifying glass on the far of the grid.
- You can create a new record. This assumes that the view you’re using has all required fields included in it.
- You can change the view using the view selector.
- You can also filter the data more using the down arrow on each column. This is the same filtering that CRM makes available in the native grids.
Grab your FREE copy of the Sonoma Partners Editable Grid from our download page and enjoy!