Microsoft CRM Outlook Client and Update Rollup 11 (UR11)

Posted by on June 10, 2010  |  commentsComments (8)

Last week Microsoft released Update Rollup 11, which I had been patiently waiting for to see how it works with Outlook 2010. I am happy to report that it delivers the goods!

I have had Microsoft Outlook 2010 installed on my laptop for a while but I was not happy with how the CRM Outlook client worked on UR10. Instead of adding the “Track in CRM” and other related CRM buttons on the home tab in the ribbon, it added a new tab called “Add-Ins” and put all the CRM functionality there. As a heavy Outlook client user, this simply didn’t work for me because every time I wanted to do something with CRM I had to click on the Add-Ins tab first. Very annoying.

Outlook Client UR10 – Uses Add-Ins Tab

OutlookClient-UR10

When Microsoft released UR11, the first thing I tested was to see if they fixed this problem. Great news, the all of the CRM functionality including the critical “Track in CRM” button is now front and center on the home tab!

Outlook Client UR11 – CRM Functionality on Home Tab

OutlookClient-UR11

Even better, you can play around with the Ribbon to customize the location of the CRM section and move it further to the left in the ribbon if you want (clicking the up arrow moves the ribbon section closer to the left side of the screen). You can access this menu by right-clicking on the ribbon and selecting “Customize the Ribbon”.

OutlookClient-UR11-Ribbon

(Side note: What the heck does the Chinese Conversion section do? I don’t see it on the ribbon at all, weird.)

Comments

1. Do you know if this works with x64 Office 2010, please?

Posted by: Sun  |  Jun 10, 2010 9:01:53 PM

2. Hi, we have installed this roll up, but I cannot find the menus which were added in ISV config.
    In you example - in the top picture, you have Exact Target menu, where do you find it after installing rollup 11?
    Thanks.

Posted by: Michal  |  Jun 11, 2010 1:48:59 AM

3. @Sun - no, Office 2010 64 bit is not supported by CRM 4 client

@Michal - i don't have Exact Target, but have you tried looking in Add-ins, since Outlook treats this as an old-style menu rather than a toolbar? If you don't have an add-ins tab, go to customise Ribbon (as above) and tick the box to make it visible. Alternatively, it may be under the "More" drop down in the main CRM group, there's all sorts of stuff there (including Advanced find, which used to get it's own button)

Posted by: AdamV  |  Jun 11, 2010 5:24:14 AM

4. @AdamV
    Thanks for hint, but no luck there :-( Add-ins is ticked, but Add-ins tab is not displayed.
    It is not in the More section either :-(

Posted by: Michal  |  Jun 11, 2010 5:59:00 AM

5. Good question! I had assumed they were under the "More" menu but they are not. I will email some of our MSFT contacts to try and track down an answer.

Posted by: Mike Snyder  |  Jun 11, 2010 8:00:27 AM

6. Thanks Mike, could you please post the result?

Posted by: Michal  |  Jun 11, 2010 10:35:29 AM

7. I heard back from MSFT, here is their response:

"The CRM Sustained Engineering team is investigating the missing menus. There is a workaround that can be used to enable the old addin menu that existed prior to UR11. This should allow you to use the menus as you did before.

Workaround:
    Add regkey [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSCRMClient] "InitToolbarForO14"=dword:00000001"

I will post/blog if they release a hot fix, otherwise I expect this to be corrected in UR12.

Posted by: Mike Snyder  |  Jun 11, 2010 9:16:47 PM

8. I just attended this event.

WIN HP mini Netbooks (5 Netbooks) and 100 Dynamics CRM online subscription (free for 6 months).
    The Dynamic Business Week is the event where you can experience the Social Customer Relationship Management (SCRM) community in action. This event offers you a unique opportunity to network with your peers, industry experts and Microsoft Dynamics CRM team members. Share ideas and knowledge— all in one place.
    Visit Dynamic Business Week by following this link. http://bit.ly/dsBBc4 .
    This event lets you interact with industry experts in the CRM and social CRM space and also with other attendees that are interested in SCRM .
    This is a virtual event with social media interaction built from ground up, the Virtual events platform used is http://social27.com and it is based on Windows Azure platform.

Posted by: nicole  |  Jun 19, 2010 2:51:55 AM